18 May 2014

Woodbeck Wilderness Trail Mix

A few weeks ago I took a glucose test, along with some blood work, at the doctor’s just to make sure that I didn’t have gestational diabetes and that all my other numbers were still good.  Thankfully everything is fine, and I passed the glucose test!  However, my iron is just slightly low so my doctor recommended a supplement and/or eating more iron-rich foods.  Last week I went in for my (now bi-weekly) appointment, and my doctor gave me some tips on iron-rich foods to incorporate into my diet.  One suggestion was making a homemade trail mix with all the nuts and other goodies that I personally like.  My husband and I laughed that we had never thought before about doing something as simple as that – making our own trail mix.  My doctor said it took her 50 years to figure out that you can make your own with the things you like in it (rather than what you would buy at the store) so I guess we aren’t the only ones who didn’t come up with that idea.  Well, on our most recent grocery outing we bought all the ingredients and today I made our very own trail mix.  It turned out great (and delicious!).

Recipe for Woodbeck Wilderness Trail Mix
- (3) One pound bags of raw almonds, blanched peanuts, and unsalted cashews.  You can obviously use whatever kind of nuts you prefer and that you think would go well together.
- One bag of dried cranberries
- One bag of dark chocolate morsels
- One teaspoon salt (optional)



In a Tupperware container (size will vary – not sure on the size of mine, but it was one of the bigger ones), add ¾ cup of each type of nut, and ½ cup each of the cranberries and chocolate.  Add the salt.  Put the lid on the container and shake to mix the contents together.  Feel free to experiment with quantity of ingredients.



Easy as that!  Now you have an “on-the-go” mix that you can take to work, on road trips, pack in lunches, or eat at home as a snack.  I thought about pre-making smaller bags of trail mix, but then decided that having a bowl of the mix might be easier because then we can take as much or as little as we want.

---


If you want to check out previous entries from my other blog, follow this link: ashleywoodbeck.tumblr.com – I will no longer be posting from Tumblr as Blogger will be my new blogging site :)

No comments:

Post a Comment