29 May 2014

Recent Pregnancy Thoughts

As my due date continues to draw near, I find myself thinking about the presence of a baby in our home/life and it gets me excited.  Although I am sure it will be challenging at times, I am looking forward to loving and protecting this little life that my husband and I made together.  As I was walking home from work this evening, an image came to my mind of our baby wrapped tightly to my body in his/her Moby wrap as I go for my daily walks, run errands, or do work around the house.  I imagined the tiny baby body, perhaps asleep or just very still, with its soft skin and small amount of hair, so content as I go about my business.  I imagined how I would breathe in the baby’s scent from the top of his/her head and I would be so happy and things would be perfect.  Asa and I are excited that we get to have a summer baby.  Summer is my favorite season and adding a family member during that time will only make the season that much better.  I’m looking forward to taking naps together with the window open and the air blowing in, taking walks as a family, hanging out at night by the bonfire, and much more!


I had some thoughts the other day about how truly incredible it is to be pregnant (from a biological/natural point of view).  I had never taken the time to think about it before, or perhaps I just tried to push the thought of it away since I never wanted to experience pregnancy.  It’s really amazing though when you think about it.  First, you have the fact that a tiny organism in your and your husband’s body can come together and immediately create a life.  Then, as your pregnancy continues, you continue creating and building a human!  I mean, that’s no big deal right – I’m just growing a human inside of me – and I don’t even have to do anything besides eat well and stay fit.  Next, you have to experience labor and delivery which your body was literally built to withstand.  Your body automatically knows how to get the human out that’s been growing in there for the past ten months (should I mention here how your body prepares itself for labor/delivery from the start - how it is able to stretch and mold and move – crazy).  Lastly, once your baby is delivered (and even before that, really) your body makes food for the baby…food!  This food can be made for a long time, over and over again, and it will sustain your little baby’s life.  A person can make food with their body?  Come on!  This stuff is just so amazing to me – the whole process almost seems unreal.  And remember: men cannot do any of this!  As someone who enjoys science, health, and anatomy, this information is awesome to know!  And as a person of faith, it’s amazing to realize the power that God has given us humans to be able to create more humans.  He is a creator himself, of everything, and yet He also gives us the ability to create life.  Mind-boggling, I’ll say.

No comments:

Post a Comment