21 May 2014

Tofu Burritos

At our last grocery outing, we purchased tofu at the store to add to pasta sauce, Chinese stir-fry, and whatever else we could think of as a way to get added protein in our diet.  I always forget about adding tofu to recipes, but I love it when I do remember!  It's so easy to use and it tastes like whatever you add with it!  I know a lot of people out there are not fans of tofu, but I think that's just because they haven't really tried it ;)

Last night I decided to add some tofu to our burrito ingredients.  My husband usually needs more substance than I do when it comes to food, so if adding a bit of tofu, soy meat, or veggies help to make the dish go a little bit farther then I always try to do that for him.  Unlike me, he is a meat eater, but occasionally, so I suppose I could add meat to some recipes from time to time (if I am feeling generous ;) ).  Since we are fresh from grocery shopping this past weekend, we have more ingredients to work with in the house (grocery day is always a relief and I love to restock the fridge and pantry).


I started prepping for dinner by gathering all the ingredients that I was going to need: beans, veggies, tofu, tortillas, and "toppings."

Next, I started working on cooking the tofu.  I heated about a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a small pan, cut a few slabs of tofu into small chunks, and put them into the hot oil.
As the tofu cooked, I started working on chopping the vegetables.  I used spinach, tomato, red onion, and red pepper.

Once the tofu was cooked a bit more, I sprinkled some leftover taco seasoning on it to give it a bit more flavor.  When the tofu was almost done, I put a bit of lime juice over the mixture.

*For those of you who haven't cooked tofu before, the key to knowing when it is done is that it turns from white to a pale brown.  Also, as I discovered this time, tofu "cooks down" quite a bit so it's okay to cut up more tofu than you think is necessary because otherwise you might not have enough.

Finally, when the tofu was done cooking, all that was left was to warm up the beans and create the burrito with all of the other ingredients!  I think it turned out well for my first try, but next time I definitely want to add more tofu and more seasoning - I think I was worried about the seasoning being too overwhelming that I didn't add enough to taste the flavor within the burrito.

Finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment